Green cards are the key to a long-term stay in the USA, with a standard validity of 10 years and the possibility of indefinite renewal. However, there is an exception for those who received a green card through marriage and have been married for less than 24 months at the time of receipt. In this case, the green card is “conditional” and valid for only two years.

To convert the conditional green card to a regular one for a 10-year stay, it is necessary to file a petition for removal of conditions using Form I-751. Your trusted attorney at Kasturi Law, your Naperville immigration attorney, is here to provide you with all the information you need to know about Form I-751.

What Is Form I-751? Who Qualifies? How Long Does It Last?

Form I-751 is a crucial application that you must submit to the Department of Homeland Security U.S. Citizenship and Naturalization Services, in order to extend your green card residency visa for a full 10 years. The form is specifically intended for individuals who are married to U.S. citizens and any children of the immigrant spouse who are not yet U.S. citizens.

form I-751 petition to remove conditions on residenceThe purpose of the form is to provide Immigration and Naturalization Services with information about the legitimacy of your marriage and to determine if it was solely for the purpose of obtaining entry into the country. This also applies if you received your green card as a minor child of an American citizen spouse and your parents are still together and functioning as a family.

The form also provides opportunities for you to report any disruptions in your marital relationship. Despite the few questions included most of the pages serve as an attestation of your understanding of the information being reported. Additionally, there are pages for any individuals filling out the form on your behalf to sign.

How Can I Tell If I Need to File Form I-751?

Determining the need to file Form I-751 is a straightforward process. To start, retrieve your green card. Take a look at the front of the card and locate the “Category” heading. If you see “CR1” listed under this heading, this indicates that you were admitted to the country on a conditional basis and your marital status needs to be verified.

Another way to determine if you need to file the form is by checking the expiration date on your green card. This date will indicate whether you received a two-year or a ten-year green card, providing further information on whether you need to file Form I-751.

How Do I File Form I-751?

Typically, both spouses in the marriage file Form I-751 together. However, in the case of divorce or spousal abuse, the immigrant spouse is allowed to file separately with the approval of the U.S. Citizenship and Naturalization Service. On the form, you are required to list all of your children, regardless of whether they are already U.S. citizens or not applying for an extension to their green card. In such cases, simply check the box labeled “not applying.” However, it is important to be cautious and avoid checking this box if the child also needs an extension to their green card.

Do I Need an Illinois Immigration Attorney to Help Me Fill Out Form I-751?

Completing Form I-751 is not a complicated task, as you can easily print it out and fill it in with black ink. However, to ensure that you provide the required supporting documentation, it is advisable to seek the assistance of a Naperville immigration attorney from Kasturi Law.

When submitting the form, you will need to include several pieces of evidence that demonstrate your shared life together, such as your lease agreement, bank statements, joint mortgage and loan applications, tax returns, birth certificates of any children born since your arrival in the US, voided checks, recent family photos, and statements from friends. If there is any uncertainty about the acceptance of your documentation, it’s recommended to consult an immigration attorney at Kasturi Law.

In the event that you are filing separately from your American spouse, you will need to provide a valid explanation, such as a divorce decree or evidence of domestic abuse. Additionally, if you have any criminal convictions or are filing the form late, it’s important to seek the advice of Kasturi Law.

If you file with Kasturi Law, we will provide a personalized checklist of everything you need to make your case for a 10-year green card.

At Kasturi Law, immigration law is all we do. For us, immigration law is more than just a job. We care about giving every immigrant an opportunity to establish a happy life in the U.S.A.

Don’t delay filing your Form I-751. Send us an email or call your I-751 Petition Attorney in Naperville IL Kasturi Law at (630) 392-8101 today!


Recent Articles

green card US permanent resident USA

What Are Alternative Ways to Get Green Cards?

Mar 17, 2023
What Are Alternative Ways to Get Green Cards? Relocating to the United States can be a challenging endeavor. Establishing yourself as a citizen involves navigating the country’s laws and obtaining a green card, which is essential. While seeking guidance from an Illinois immigration attorney can simplify the procedure, it is necessary to familiarize yourself with […]
Read More
male consultant working in US embassy office and holding application form while talking to woman

Who Qualifies for a 601A Waiver?

Mar 09, 2023
The process of applying for a green card while working in the United States can be overwhelming, as every aspect of your life is scrutinized. However, even if there are issues that would normally prevent you from obtaining a green card, there are still options available to you. One such option is the 601A waiver […]
Read More
U.S. visa united states of america

U Visa Victims of Crime Immigration Protection: Do I Qualify?

Feb 24, 2023
Green Card for A Victim of Crime – U Visa The U visa is a solution designed to assist immigrants who have been victims of crime and wish to obtain temporary legal status in the United States. The main objective of the U visa is to provide security to those who are collaborating with law […]
Read More
form I-751 petition to remove conditions on residence

Form I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions: What You Need to Know

Feb 10, 2023
Green cards are the key to a long-term stay in the USA, with a standard validity of 10 years and the possibility of indefinite renewal. However, there is an exception for those who received a green card through marriage and have been married for less than 24 months at the time of receipt. In this […]
Read More

Top 3 Immigration Lawyers

Jan 17, 2023
Read More


Jan 16, 2023
Request for a Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings (Under Section 336 of the INA) For most immigrants, seeking US citizenship is a dream come true. However, the process can be complicated, and if you are facing a denial of your N400 application, you can and should seek legal counsel. Attorney Shobhana Kasturi (from […]
Read More
Show More
CALL US 630-392-8101