29 South Webster Street, Suite 370 Naperville,
IL 60540

At Kasturi Law, LLC, our Naperville immigration and nationality law attorney knows that you, as the sponsor, must meet the eligibility requirements to bring your spouse to the United States as a Green Card holder (permanent resident).

This includes being a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, meeting income requirements, and having a bona fide marital relationship with your spouse.

If those things are true, to follow are the next steps to sponsorship.

 Spouse’s Green Card

File Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

As the sponsoring spouse, you must file Form I-130 with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to establish your relationship with your spouse. Include all required supporting documentation, including proof of your U.S. citizenship or permanent residency, marriage certificate, and any other evidence needed.

After USCIS receives your Form I-130 petition, it will process it and notify you of the decision. If approved, USCIS will forward the petition to the National Visa Center (NVC) for further processing.

Submit the Required Documentation to the National Visa Center

Once the NVC receives your approved Form I-130 petition, they will request additional documentation from you and your spouse.

This may include

  • Form I-864, Affidavit of Support.
  • Civil documents, including birth certificates, passports, and police certificates issued by a government agency or police department after a background check.

Follow the instructions provided by the NVC and submit all required documentation promptly.

After the NVC reviews your documentation, they will schedule a visa interview for your spouse at the U.S. consulate or embassy in their home country. Your spouse must attend the interview and bring all required documentation.

If the visa interview is successful, your spouse will receive an immigrant visa stamp in their passport, allowing them to travel to the United States. Upon arrival in the United States, your spouse will become a lawful permanent resident. USCIS will mail the Green Card to your U.S. address within a few weeks of arrival.

Contact Our Immigration Attorney Today

If you encounter any challenges or have questions about the process, contact us today to learn how our Illinois immigration attorney can help you. We provide in-office, phone, and Zoom consultations to help you understand your legal rights and options so you can make informed decisions about your immigration journey.