29 South Webster Street, Suite 370 Naperville,
IL 60540

There are many people out there who are already considered U.S. citizens by virtue of the citizenship of their parents regardless of whether they were born abroad and even if they still reside in another country.

Form N-600K is filed by an applicant to establish that he or she is a U.S. citizen because they have a U.S. citizen parent even though the child applicant will remain living in another country outside the U.S. On the other hand many applicants who are proving their U.S. citizenship will do so on a different form called Form N-600. In order to know which is the route for you consider meeting with a qualified immigration attorney who will determine which type of form you need to file to obtain evidence of your citizenship.

An immigration attorney can assist you with applying with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for proof that you are a citizen of the U.S. You do this by filling out and submitting evidence on Form N-600K. This application will ensure that you receive a Certificate of Citizenship. On the N-600K you will need to submit detailed information about your parents as it relates to their citizenship, how they obtained permanent residence, and whether you lived in their physical custody at the time that they obtained citizenship.

With Form N-600K you need to submit the following: $1,170 filing fee (always subject to change), passport photos, child’s birth certificate, evidence of the parent’s U.S. citizenship, the U.S. citizen parent’s birth certificate, proof of the required physical presence in the U.S. for the U.S. citizen parent (or grandparent), and proof of citizenship with the parent or grandparent.

You may need to submit proof that the parent actually resided in the U.S., U.S. citizen parent’s marriage certificate or divorce decrees, proof of legitimation if a parent is applying and the child was born out of wedlock, proof of legal and/or physical custody of the child, and/or proof of legal adoption. Please call Kasturi Law, LLC at 630-392-8101 to discuss eligibility and the documentation needed to establish the eligibility.