Get Started

Contact Us For A Consultation

Have a question? We're here to help. Send us a message and we'll be in touch.

There are many people out there who are already considered U.S. citizens by virtue of the citizenship of their parents regardless of whether they were born abroad.

It is always a highlight to deliver the good news to someone who wants to adjust their legal status here in the U.S. that they are already a U.S. citizen! It is good news because the applicant is automatically a U.S. citizen and does not need to go through the process of the civics exam or good moral character analysis like a typical naturalization applicant. For this reason, it is important to meet with a qualified immigration attorney who will analyze your family history and the citizenship status of your parents and grandparents.

So, who is already a U.S. citizen? The rules related to acquiring or deriving citizenship from your parents can be tricky and have changed numerous times throughout the past 100 years. Generally speaking, anyone who is born to a parent who is a U.S. citizen at the time of their birth or someone who is a lawful permanent resident and whose parent attains U.S. citizenship before the child’s 18th birthday is automatically a U.S. citizen either at birth or when the parent becomes a U.S. citizen. It is even possible that grandparents can pass on citizenship unknowingly to an applicant’s parents.

An immigration attorney can assist you with applying with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for proof that you are a citizen of the U.S. You do this by filling out and submitting evidence on Form N-600. This application will ensure that you receive a Certificate of Citizenship. On the N-600 you will need to submit detailed information about your parents as it relates to their citizenship, how they obtained permanent residence, and whether you lived in their physical custody at the time that they obtained citizenship.

With Form N-600 you need to submit the following: $1,170 filing fee (always subject to change by USCIS), passport photos, child’s birth certificate, evidence of the parent’s U.S. citizenship, and the U.S. citizen parent’s birth certificate. You may need to submit proof that the parent actually resided in the U.S., U.S. citizen parent’s marriage certificate or divorce decrees, proof of legitimation if a parent is applying and the child was born out of wedlock, proof of legal and/or physical custody of the child, and/or proof of legal adoption. Please call Kasturi Law, LLC at 6303928101 to discuss eligibility and the documentation needed to establish eligibility.


Recent Articles

US immigration application and consular visa interview

My Immigrant Visa Case Is Stuck in Administrative Processing? What Should I Do?

Sep 22, 2023
The process of acquiring an immigrant visa can be complex and intimidating, especially when encountering the term “administrative processing.” Many applicants find themselves stuck at this stage, wondering what it means and how to proceed. This article will provide an insightful understanding of administrative processing, how long it typically takes, why an immigrant visa might […]
Read More
application to register permanent residence or adjust status form and green card

I Want to Apply for Adjustment of Status (Green Card). Do I Need a Lawyer?

Sep 15, 2023
Embarking on the journey through the labyrinth of immigration law can be daunting, especially if you’re not intimately familiar with the system. The processes are replete with intricacies, the jargon used is often perplexing, and the consequences of even a minor error can be dramatic. As you prepare to apply for an adjustment of status, […]
Read More
K-1 VISA united states of america white gold ring with diamond

I Want to Apply for a K-1 Visa: Do I Need a Lawyer?

Sep 08, 2023
Deciding to marry a non-U.S. citizen is a major milestone. With it comes the bureaucratic labyrinth that is the U.S. immigration process. At the heart of this journey is the K-1 Visa, often referred to as the fiancé visa. The process may appear straightforward, but it can be surprisingly complex, leading many to question: “Do […]
Read More
US citizenship and immigration services on flag of united states of america

I Received an N-14. Should I Hire a Lawyer?

Sep 01, 2023
The path to U.S. citizenship is a journey through an intricate maze of laws, processes, and paperwork. Each step taken is a pivotal decision, leading you either closer to your dream or into a complex web of legal hurdles. The receipt of an N-14 Form marks one such decisive intersection in this journey. This document, […]
Read More
letter or document with unexpected news from african boss

I Received a NOID. Should I Hire a Lawyer to Respond?

Aug 25, 2023
You’ve gone through the rigorous and meticulous process of filing an immigration application, only to receive a Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID) from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). A wave of uncertainty and confusion washes over you. You are left wondering, “What is a NOID?” and “Should I hire an immigration lawyer […]
Read More

I Received an RFE. Should I Hire a Lawyer to Respond?

Aug 11, 2023
Receiving a Request for Evidence (RFE) from USCIS can be a nerve-wracking experience. An RFE, also known as a request for evidence, is a notification from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) indicating the need for additional evidence to process an immigration application. If you’re wondering whether you need the services of an immigration […]
Read More
Show More
CALL US 630-392-8101