Get Started

Contact Us For A Consultation

Have a question? We're here to help. Send us a message and we'll be in touch.

In 2013 the USDHS announced that undocumented (uninspected) immigrants who are immediate relatives of US Citizens (spouse, child between 17 and 21, or parent of a child over 21) may be eligible to apply for a 601A waiver for unlawful presence of more than 180 days prior to leaving the US.

1. The advantages of the 601A waiver.

Prior to the availability of the 601A waiver, an immediate relative of a US Citizen spouse, who entered the US without inspection, had to leave the US, seek a waiver for their unlawful presence of more than 180 days, wait for the approval on the waiver, and then only have an opportunity to return to the US. This meant that often an intending immigrant in such a situation could be outside the US for months or more than a year. If their petition for a waiver was denied, they would face the possibility of being outside the US for 10 years. The risk of prolonged separation was a risk that most families did not want to or could withstand. The 601A waiver has been a game changer. Now an immediate relative (who entered the US with out inspection) of a US Citizen spouse can apply for the 601A waiver within the US. If they are able to secure its approval, they can then leave the US for a short time (few weeks) and return with an immigrant visa once they have completed a consular interview in their home country. There is much less uncertainty with the 601A waiver.

2. What does the 601 waiver cover and not cover?

The 601A waiver is a waiver (or pardon) of unlawful presence in the country for more than 180 days and beyond. So if John Doe (an immediate relative of a US Citizen spouse) entered the country without inspection and has unlawful presence of more than 180 days, securing a 601A waiver would allow him to get a waiver for his unlawful presence in the US. The 601A waiver however does not provide a waiver for criminal convictions, fraud, individuals with final deportation orders, or those who already have a consular interview scheduled.

3. The 601A waiver approval is not the end of the road for the intending immigrant.

Securing an approval of a 601A waiver is an initial step in the process. Once the 601A waiver has been approved, the intending immigrant still has to leave the US for a consular interview in their home country. During the interview the consular officer can not only ask about the unlawful presence but other aspects that may make someone inadmissible to the US. Hypothetically, if John Doe, an uninspected immediate relative of a US citizen spouse, entered the US with his uninspected minor son, then he may need a waiver other than the 601A waiver. The 601A waiver here would not pardon John’s unauthorized entry into the US with his minor son. The 601A waiver only can waive John’s unlawful presence beyond the 180 days in the US.

4. Elements that need to be established for an approval of a 601A waiver.

In order to be eligible to apply for the stateside 601A waiver in the U.S. the petitioner must establish the following:

  • Be married to a U.S. citizen (Or in some instancces immigrants between 17 and 21 years old who have a U.S. citizen parent, or immigrants who have a U.S. citizen child over 21 years old)
  • At the time of filing the 601A waiver be physically present in the US;
  • Have an I130 approved petition;
  • Demonstrate EXTREME HARSHIP to his or her U.S. citizen spouse or parent.

5. How does one establish extreme hardship to a qualifying relative (US citizen spouse or parent)?

Establishing extreme hardship is case specific. A petitioner can demonstrate economic, health, safety, and emotional hardship to their qualifying relative in order to make their case of extreme hardship. Hypothetically, if John Doe (an uninspected immigrant husband of US citizen Sue Doe and father of two minor US citizen children) the main breadwinner and primary caretaker of his children wanted to petition for a 601A waiver, he would need to establish how his removal would have a significantly adverse economic, health, emotional, and safety impact on his US citizen wife. To make his case, he would need to provide strong supporting documentation. Establishing extreme hardship is a high standard and as such it does make sense to consult with a qualified immigration attorney to seek an assessment of the case.

Kasturi Law, LLC (Attorney Shobhana Kasturi) This guide is only general in nature and is not to be construed as legal advice. The viewpoints communicated in this guide are not meant to and do not create an attorney-client relationship. Talk to a local attorney about your specific facts and the goals you want to accomplish.


Recent Articles

US immigration application and consular visa interview

My Immigrant Visa Case Is Stuck in Administrative Processing? What Should I Do?

Sep 22, 2023
The process of acquiring an immigrant visa can be complex and intimidating, especially when encountering the term “administrative processing.” Many applicants find themselves stuck at this stage, wondering what it means and how to proceed. This article will provide an insightful understanding of administrative processing, how long it typically takes, why an immigrant visa might […]
Read More
application to register permanent residence or adjust status form and green card

I Want to Apply for Adjustment of Status (Green Card). Do I Need a Lawyer?

Sep 15, 2023
Embarking on the journey through the labyrinth of immigration law can be daunting, especially if you’re not intimately familiar with the system. The processes are replete with intricacies, the jargon used is often perplexing, and the consequences of even a minor error can be dramatic. As you prepare to apply for an adjustment of status, […]
Read More
K-1 VISA united states of america white gold ring with diamond

I Want to Apply for a K-1 Visa: Do I Need a Lawyer?

Sep 08, 2023
Deciding to marry a non-U.S. citizen is a major milestone. With it comes the bureaucratic labyrinth that is the U.S. immigration process. At the heart of this journey is the K-1 Visa, often referred to as the fiancé visa. The process may appear straightforward, but it can be surprisingly complex, leading many to question: “Do […]
Read More
US citizenship and immigration services on flag of united states of america

I Received an N-14. Should I Hire a Lawyer?

Sep 01, 2023
The path to U.S. citizenship is a journey through an intricate maze of laws, processes, and paperwork. Each step taken is a pivotal decision, leading you either closer to your dream or into a complex web of legal hurdles. The receipt of an N-14 Form marks one such decisive intersection in this journey. This document, […]
Read More
letter or document with unexpected news from african boss

I Received a NOID. Should I Hire a Lawyer to Respond?

Aug 25, 2023
You’ve gone through the rigorous and meticulous process of filing an immigration application, only to receive a Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID) from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). A wave of uncertainty and confusion washes over you. You are left wondering, “What is a NOID?” and “Should I hire an immigration lawyer […]
Read More

I Received an RFE. Should I Hire a Lawyer to Respond?

Aug 11, 2023
Receiving a Request for Evidence (RFE) from USCIS can be a nerve-wracking experience. An RFE, also known as a request for evidence, is a notification from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) indicating the need for additional evidence to process an immigration application. If you’re wondering whether you need the services of an immigration […]
Read More
Show More
CALL US 630-392-8101