29 South Webster Street, Suite 370 Naperville,
IL 60540

At Kasturi Law, LLC, our Naperville immigration and nationality law attorney helps individuals throughout Illinois and surrounding areas petition for current and future family members to immigrate to the United States because we know how vital reunification is to everyone involved.

Petition for

Immigrating to a new country can be challenging, especially for individuals unfamiliar with the language, culture, and customs. Facilitating family members’ immigration allows for reunification, strengthening family bonds, and providing emotional support. Family members established in the United States can provide a crucial support system, helping newcomers navigate the transition and settle more easily.

Your role in the immigration process is crucial. The first step is to determine if you are eligible to sponsor a family member for immigration. This typically depends on your immigration status, whether you are a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident (Green Card holder), and your relationship with the family member you wish to sponsor.

Here, we discuss the available immigration options.

How Can I Help a Family Member Immigrate to the U.S.?

The immigration process offers various visa categories for family-based immigration, each with its own benefits. However, your status determines which current or future relatives may be eligible for immigration benefits.

To help a family member immigrate to the United States, you must be a:

  • S. citizen.
  • Spouse of U.S. citizen.
  • Children (unmarried and under 21) of U.S. citizens.
  • Parents of U.S. citizens (The petitioning citizen must be 21 or older).
  • Lawful Permanent Resident (Green Card holder)

A U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident can file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to petition for a family member to immigrate to the United States. Each person you sponsor needs a separate Form I-130.

Visas are always available for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, so your family member does not need to wait in line for a visa. Immediate relatives in the United States can file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, at the same time as Form I-130.

Preference categories apply to family members who are not immediate relatives.

The visas allotted for these categories are subject to annual numerical limits. A visa becomes available to a preference category based on the priority date (the date the Form I-130 was filed).

Preference categories are grouped as follows:

  • First preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens (adult means 21 or older.).
  • Second Preference (2A): Spouses of Green Card holders, unmarried children (under 21) of permanent residents.
  • Second Preference (2B): Unmarried adult sons and daughters of permanent residents.
  • Third Preference: Married sons and daughters (any age) of U.S. citizens.
  • Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens.

As a lawful permanent resident, you may petition for certain family members to immigrate to the United States as permanent residents.

You may petition for the following family members:

  • Unmarried children under 21.
  • Unmarried son or daughter of any age.

To obtain a Green Card for your family member, you must:

  • File Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative.
  • Provide proof of your status to demonstrate that you are a permanent resident.
  • Submit evidence of the qualifying relationship, such as a birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.
  • Submit proof of any legal name change for you or your family member (the beneficiary).

When petitioning for your relative, the same preference categories apply to lawful permanent residents as U.S. Citizens. Likewise, A visa becomes available to a preference category according to the priority date (the date the I-130 was properly filed).

Should I Partner with an Experienced Family Based Immigration Attorney to Help Family Members with the Process?

At Kasturi Law, our family-based immigration attorney has helped people around the globe petition USCIS to reunite with their families in the United States legally.

While no law says you must partner with a lawyer to petition for your family members to immigrate to the U.S., our knowledgeable Illinois immigration attorney understands the intricacies of the law, procedures, and requirements involved in the immigration process and can provide accurate and up-to-date guidance tailored to your specific situation, helping to navigate potential obstacles and maximize the chances of success.

We will assess your eligibility, identify the most appropriate visa options, and develop a customized strategy to achieve your immigration goals efficiently and effectively.

Contact Our Immigration Attorney Today For Consultation

Contact us today to learn how our Illinois immigration attorney can assist you. We provide in-office, phone, and Zoom consultations to help you understand your legal rights and options so you can make informed decisions about your immigration journey.