29 South Webster Street, Suite 370 Naperville,
IL 60540

Green Card for A Victim of Crime – U Visa

The U visa is a solution designed to assist immigrants who have been victims of crime and wish to obtain temporary legal status in the United States. The main objective of the U visa is to provide security to those who are collaborating with law enforcement agencies in investigating crimes that take place within the country. If you are in need of assistance in securing the necessary immigration documentation, look no further than Kasturi Law, LLC your trusted Naperville U visa attorney.

What Is the U Visa For?

In the year 2000, the U.S. Congress enacted the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Act, aimed at providing support for immigrants who have been victimized by crime or trafficking. The act established new categories of visas, including the U visa, to aid these individuals in cooperating with law enforcement in the investigation of certain criminal activities. The U visa offers temporary legal status and protection from deportation, as well as work authorization for four years. After three years of continuous presence in the U.S., the individual may apply to adjust their status to that of a permanent resident and, upon approval, receive a green card.

Who Does the U Visa Protect?

The U visa program offers protection to individuals who have suffered as a result of crimes occurring within the U.S. These individuals are often reluctant to report these crimes or assist law enforcement due to fear of facing immigration consequences. However, the U visa offers them official status in the U.S. and shields them from any retaliation. To be eligible for the U visa, the individual must have endured significant physical or mental harm as a result of the crime and must be willing to provide helpful information to the authorities regarding the crime.

How Do I Qualify?

To be eligible for the U visa, an individual must first apply and be approved by the Department of Homeland Security. This process involves submitting a petition and receiving certification from a reputable law enforcement agency, demonstrating that the individual has provided, or will provide, information to assist in prosecuting the crime committed against them. Additionally, a comprehensive background check is necessary for the U visa application to be processed. If approved, the U visa provides temporary legal status and protection from deportation. At Kasturi Law, LLC your Naperville immigration lawyer can also help you extend the benefits of the U visa to your family, including your spouse and children.

What Documentation Is Needed?

Applying for U visa status requires the submission of various forms, including the Form I-918 Petition for U Nonimmigrant Status and the I-918 Supplement B, U Nonimmigrant Status Certification. Depending on the circumstances of the case, additional forms may be necessary. As part of the application process, individuals must also provide a personal statement detailing the crime they experienced, along with any other relevant documentation (such as police reports, medical reports, etc). If you are located outside the United States, you can still apply for U visa status through the consular process.

What Crimes Could Qualify Me for a U Visa?

Individuals who have fallen victim to certain criminal acts, including but not limited to sexual abuse, domestic violence, trafficking, witness tampering, and other heinous crimes, may be eligible to apply for a U Visa. This visa program encompasses a wide range of criminal activities, including those related to peonage, obstruction of justice, involuntary servitude, and the slave trade. If you have experienced one of these crimes, you may be able to secure temporary legal status to stay in the United States through the U Visa process.

How an Immigration Attorney Can Help

Your Illinois immigration attorney can guide you through the U visa application process by providing the necessary forms and ensuring proper certification from law enforcement agencies. They can also assist in gathering supporting evidence of the crime. If additional forms or waivers are required, your immigration attorney in Naperville can handle that as well. With their expertise, they can answer any questions you may have about the process and provide detailed information to ensure a smooth and successful outcome.

Make Kasturi Law LLC Your U Visa Attorney in Naperville

U.S. immigration laws are complex and often difficult to understand. Proper legal representation can help to facilitate the process of acquiring U visa status in a timely and appropriate manner. Contact Kasturi Law, LLC today at 630-392-8101 for a consultation to learn how Naperville immigration attorneys can help you navigate the system to acquire a legal U visa in the U.S.A.