Get Started

Contact Us For A Consultation

Have a question? We're here to help. Send us a message and we'll be in touch.

A Request for Evidence (RFE) is issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) when they decide that they need more documents or information before they can make a decision on an immigration petition.

1. How much time do I have to respond? What does one do? How any chances does one get to respond?

If one gets an RFE, there is no reason to think that the case will be denied and hence no need to hit the panic button. USCIS will usually give 30-90 days to allow for a RFE response. A timely response is extremely important. Otherwise USCIS can deem the immigration petition abandoned and can deny it. Reading the RFE several times and figuring out what exactly is requested is very very important. Then, the next step is to gather all the relevant information prior to submission. One only gets one chance to respond. One can completely and timely respond to the RFE. One can provide partial information but then USCIS can make a decision based on the partial information. One can also withdraw the application. It is important to submit all the information during the initial submission instead of trying to submit it piece meal. USCIS may not consider separate response submissiions after the initial submission. Of course, if a deadline is looming and one does not have all the information, it is better to submit something rather than nothing prior to the expiration of the deadline.

2. Do I need to hire an immigration attorney to respond to the RFE?

The response to this question is very fact specific. There are simple document requests for information and then there are complex requests. First thing to do is read, reread, and understand what is being requested. If it is a simple request for a document (such as a birth certificate) and one is comfortable in knowing that this is what the request pertains to, then it is up to the individual applicant to decide whether they warrant further assistance. If however, one is not sure or does not understand all the legal language or request, then it is time to at least consult with a qualified immigration attorney. Once one is informed on what is being requested, the timeline involved, the cost, and any challenges, then then he/she can decide whether counsel needs to be hired. The key here is to provide a complete and comprehensive response to the RFE. If that means hiring an attorney to do so is in the applicants interest, then this option SHOULD be considered.

3. What happens after the RFE response is submitted?

Once a RFE is sent out USCIS stops working on the petition until they get a response. Once they have a response then they start working on the case and typically have 60 additional days to work on the matter. Sometimes it does take longer. If an applicant does not get any response within 94 days of the RFE response, then it is time to call the customer service hotline, make an info pass appointment, and or set up a consultation with a qualified immigration attorney.


Recent Articles

US immigration application and consular visa interview

My Immigrant Visa Case Is Stuck in Administrative Processing? What Should I Do?

Sep 22, 2023
The process of acquiring an immigrant visa can be complex and intimidating, especially when encountering the term “administrative processing.” Many applicants find themselves stuck at this stage, wondering what it means and how to proceed. This article will provide an insightful understanding of administrative processing, how long it typically takes, why an immigrant visa might […]
Read More
application to register permanent residence or adjust status form and green card

I Want to Apply for Adjustment of Status (Green Card). Do I Need a Lawyer?

Sep 15, 2023
Embarking on the journey through the labyrinth of immigration law can be daunting, especially if you’re not intimately familiar with the system. The processes are replete with intricacies, the jargon used is often perplexing, and the consequences of even a minor error can be dramatic. As you prepare to apply for an adjustment of status, […]
Read More
K-1 VISA united states of america white gold ring with diamond

I Want to Apply for a K-1 Visa: Do I Need a Lawyer?

Sep 08, 2023
Deciding to marry a non-U.S. citizen is a major milestone. With it comes the bureaucratic labyrinth that is the U.S. immigration process. At the heart of this journey is the K-1 Visa, often referred to as the fiancé visa. The process may appear straightforward, but it can be surprisingly complex, leading many to question: “Do […]
Read More
US citizenship and immigration services on flag of united states of america

I Received an N-14. Should I Hire a Lawyer?

Sep 01, 2023
The path to U.S. citizenship is a journey through an intricate maze of laws, processes, and paperwork. Each step taken is a pivotal decision, leading you either closer to your dream or into a complex web of legal hurdles. The receipt of an N-14 Form marks one such decisive intersection in this journey. This document, […]
Read More
letter or document with unexpected news from african boss

I Received a NOID. Should I Hire a Lawyer to Respond?

Aug 25, 2023
You’ve gone through the rigorous and meticulous process of filing an immigration application, only to receive a Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID) from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). A wave of uncertainty and confusion washes over you. You are left wondering, “What is a NOID?” and “Should I hire an immigration lawyer […]
Read More

I Received an RFE. Should I Hire a Lawyer to Respond?

Aug 11, 2023
Receiving a Request for Evidence (RFE) from USCIS can be a nerve-wracking experience. An RFE, also known as a request for evidence, is a notification from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) indicating the need for additional evidence to process an immigration application. If you’re wondering whether you need the services of an immigration […]
Read More
Show More
CALL US 630-392-8101