Get Started

Contact Us For A Consultation

Have a question? We're here to help. Send us a message and we'll be in touch.

So, you are at the stage of your USCIS journey where you have received an RFE (Request of Evidence). Now what?

Many types of evidence can be requested in an RFE USCIS, and it is vital to get started on gathering everything you need as soon as possible. The last thing you want is to delay your case any further.

Here at Kasturi Law LLC, a Naperville IL immigration attorney can help you compile some of the evidence you will be asked to produce and respond to the RFE. Let us look at some of the different kinds of evidence you need and some tips on how to get it.


Proof of Relationship

Suppose you have been asked for evidence of your relationship. In that case, USCIS is essentially asking for proof that you and the person you petition for are actually in a valid connection. This could be in photos, social media messages, emails, or even letters.

If you are in a long-distance relationship, make sure you have plenty of evidence to show you have a genuine connection. This could include plane tickets to visit each other or even photos of your zoom calls or facetime.

Financial Evidence

If you are in a relationship (e.g,  marriage), then USCIS will want to see evidence that you are able to financially support your partner. This could include bank statements, pay stubs, or tax returns.

Generally speaking, you must show that you earn more than 125% of the poverty line to petition for your partner.

Employment Evidence

If you petition for an employment-based visa, you will need to provide evidence of your job offer or contract. This could include a letter from your employer or a copy of your job offer.

Regarding employment-based visas, it is also essential to show that you have the required skills and experience for the job. This could be in the form of a resume or even letters of recommendation from previous employers.

Educational Evidence

If you petition for an educational visa, you will need to provide evidence of your enrollment in an accredited institution. This could include a copy of your I-20 form, transcripts from your school, and proof of your educational qualifications. This could consist of diplomas or even letters from your university.

It is also essential to show that you have the required English language skills for an educational visa. This could be in the form of a TOEFL score or even a letter from a language school.

Evidence of Intent To Return

If you petition for a temporary visa, then USCIS will want to see evidence that you have ties to your home country and intend to return after your stay in the United States. This could include property ownership, family ties, or even a job offer from your home country. Purchasing a round-trip ticket can also help demonstrate your ties to your home country.

Evidence of Good Moral Character

If you have a criminal record, you must provide evidence of your rehabilitation and good moral character. This could include court records, certified dispositions, letters from probation officers, police reports, or even letters from community leaders.

Previous Visa Denials

If you have been previously denied a visa, then USCIS will want to see evidence of why your current application should be approved. This could include changes in circumstances, new evidence, or even a letter from an immigration attorney.

Medical Examination Results

If you petition for a family member, you will need to provide evidence of their medical examination results. This could include things like vaccinations, TB test results, or x-rays.

Marriage Certificate

If you petition for a spouse, you must provide evidence of your marriage. This could include a copy of your marriage certificate or even wedding photos.

Birth Certificate

If you petition for a child, you will need to provide their birth certificate ( birth certificates that the U.S. Department of State accepts for the county where the beneficiary was born9see reciprocity schedule from the Department of State) as evidence. You may also need additional documentation, such as adoption papers or proof of legal guardianship.

These are just some of the different types of evidence that USCIS may require in an RFE. It is important to remember that each case is unique, so you will need to provide whatever evidence is specific to your situation.

Responding completely to the questions raised by the RFE is essential. Failure to adequately respond can result in the denial of the case and second RFE. This stage of the case is very crucial, and responses to RFEs should be taken very seriously.

If you have any questions about what evidence you need to provide, then you should speak to an experienced immigration attorney in Naperville. They can help you gather everything you need and prepare your case for success.


Recent Articles

US immigration application and consular visa interview

My Immigrant Visa Case Is Stuck in Administrative Processing? What Should I Do?

Sep 22, 2023
The process of acquiring an immigrant visa can be complex and intimidating, especially when encountering the term “administrative processing.” Many applicants find themselves stuck at this stage, wondering what it means and how to proceed. This article will provide an insightful understanding of administrative processing, how long it typically takes, why an immigrant visa might […]
Read More
application to register permanent residence or adjust status form and green card

I Want to Apply for Adjustment of Status (Green Card). Do I Need a Lawyer?

Sep 15, 2023
Embarking on the journey through the labyrinth of immigration law can be daunting, especially if you’re not intimately familiar with the system. The processes are replete with intricacies, the jargon used is often perplexing, and the consequences of even a minor error can be dramatic. As you prepare to apply for an adjustment of status, […]
Read More
K-1 VISA united states of america white gold ring with diamond

I Want to Apply for a K-1 Visa: Do I Need a Lawyer?

Sep 08, 2023
Deciding to marry a non-U.S. citizen is a major milestone. With it comes the bureaucratic labyrinth that is the U.S. immigration process. At the heart of this journey is the K-1 Visa, often referred to as the fiancé visa. The process may appear straightforward, but it can be surprisingly complex, leading many to question: “Do […]
Read More
US citizenship and immigration services on flag of united states of america

I Received an N-14. Should I Hire a Lawyer?

Sep 01, 2023
The path to U.S. citizenship is a journey through an intricate maze of laws, processes, and paperwork. Each step taken is a pivotal decision, leading you either closer to your dream or into a complex web of legal hurdles. The receipt of an N-14 Form marks one such decisive intersection in this journey. This document, […]
Read More
letter or document with unexpected news from african boss

I Received a NOID. Should I Hire a Lawyer to Respond?

Aug 25, 2023
You’ve gone through the rigorous and meticulous process of filing an immigration application, only to receive a Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID) from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). A wave of uncertainty and confusion washes over you. You are left wondering, “What is a NOID?” and “Should I hire an immigration lawyer […]
Read More

I Received an RFE. Should I Hire a Lawyer to Respond?

Aug 11, 2023
Receiving a Request for Evidence (RFE) from USCIS can be a nerve-wracking experience. An RFE, also known as a request for evidence, is a notification from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) indicating the need for additional evidence to process an immigration application. If you’re wondering whether you need the services of an immigration […]
Read More
Show More
CALL US 630-392-8101