29 South Webster Street, Suite 370 Naperville,
IL 60540

At Kasturi Law, LLC, our Naperville and Schaumburg immigration and nationality law attorney and law firm founder, Shobhana Kasturi, has over 27 years of legal experience, and a decade of experience representing individuals and families in Illinois and nationwide who are petitioning to remove conditions on their residency.

I-751 Petition

What is Form I-751?

Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, is a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) form used by conditional permanent residents who obtained their status through marriage to request the removal of those conditions. This petition is specifically for those granted conditional residency based on a marriage less than two years old when they received their green card.

Why Do You Need Form I-751?

When you receive a Green Card based on a marriage less than two years old, your residency status is conditional. This means that your green card is only valid for two years.

To become a permanent resident without conditions, you must file Form I-751 to remove the conditions on your residence. This petition demonstrates that your marriage is bona fide and not entered into to evade immigration laws.

If you do not file Form I-751 before your conditional green card expires, you risk losing your permanent resident status and may become removable from the United States.

The following individuals may need to file Form I-751 to maintain legal residency:

  • Conditional permanent residents who obtained their status through marriage.
  • Spouses and children who obtained conditional status simultaneously should be included in the same petition.
  • Conditional residents who obtained their status through marriage but are now divorced or widowed can file the petition individually but will need to provide additional documentation to prove the bona fide nature of the marriage.

You must file Form I-751 within 90 days of your conditional green card expiring. Failing to file on time may lead to losing your conditional resident status.

To file Form I-751, you must submit the required documentation:

  • Proof of the bona fide nature of the marriage, such as joint bank account statements, lease agreements, tax returns, and photographs together.
  • Evidence of the relationship’s continuation or reasons for its termination if applicable.
  • Copies of conditional green cards for you and your dependents.

Typically, you and your spouse file jointly. If you are divorced, widowed, or facing other circumstances such as abuse, you may apply for a waiver of the joint filing requirement.

You will need to provide additional evidence to support your waiver request.USCIS may require an interview to verify the validity of the marriage. If the petition is approved, the residency conditions will be removed, and you will receive a 10-year green card.

At Kasturi Law, our immigration practice is driven by the desire to give a voice to those who most need it, including those seeking to remove their residency conditions.

Contact Our Immigration Attorney Today For Consultation

Contact our immigration law firm today to schedule a consultation that suits your needs. Whether you prefer an in-person meeting, a phone call, or a Zoom session, we are here to accommodate you. You can even schedule a consultation directly using our online calendar, choosing between 30-minute or 60-minute timeframes. We value your time and want to ensure that your immigration questions receive the attention they deserve, helping you move forward confidently.